There are a few basic recipes everybody should know how to make. Recipes that don’t take many ingredients and can be made quickly and in large quantities. Flour tortillas are a good example.
Homemade flour tortillas only need 5 basic ingredients that i’m about 99% sure you’ll already have in your cupboard.
Homemade tortillas are so much better than store bought because they are so much more flavourful, softer, pliable, and sturdy. They also just taste fresh, if you’ve ever had a fresh made tortilla you can tell the difference between store bought. Store bought kinda smell and taste a little chemically.
Watch the video for Homemade Flour Tortillas here:
Tips for making your own tortillas:
- Almost any type of fat can be used, olive oil, butter, lard. Just use whatever you have on hand
- The dough MUST rest. This is because resting the dough helps to relax the gluten which makes rolling the tortillas much easier. If the dough keeps shrinking back when you’re
- Heat the pan before adding the dough. Other wise they will become stiff. Cook them until a few bubbles have formed and then flip and cook for another 20 seconds. You only want a few brown spots otherwise if you overcook them they also become stiff.
Now that you’ve got your homemade flour tortillas there are so many things you can use them for.
- Mexican Dishes like Enchiladas, Quesadillas, Burritos
- As a wrap for some salad and meat
- Dipping vessel for hummus or any kind of dip
- Make tortilla chips, also good for dipping
- Super thin pizza base
You’ll never want to go back to store bought again!
USE #tillyeats or TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @TILLYEATS IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, I LOVE SEEING YOUR CREATIONS!
Also if you could rate the recipe below I would be forever grateful – it makes me feel good ( yay internet points) and also helps me understand what you guys like 😛
5 basic ingredients is all it takes to make homemade flour tortillas. So much better than store bought!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup hot water
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Drizzle in the olive oil and water and mix with a bread knife until the dough is shaggy and has come together.
Turn the dough onto a floured bench workspace and knead until smooth and elastic. It won’t need long, about 5 minutes.
Cover the dough with a damp tea towel and let rest for 15 minutes. Divide the dough into equal portions. Smaller balls for tacos bigger balls for burritos. Let rest for another 15 minutes. This makes the dough soft, chewy and pliable.
While the dough rest get your cast iron skillet nice and hot. Working one at a time, press the dough ball down into a flat disk. Using a rolling pin roll the dough out into an 8 inch round. Keeping the remaining dough covered while you work. Fry the tortilla ungreased for 30 seconds each side or until bubbles form and its starting to look crispy. Transfer to a plate and cover with a clean tea towel, cook the remaining dough. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and place into the fridge. To reheat cook them individually in a skillet or wrapped in foil in a warm oven until heated.
NOTE: All images and text on this website are protected by copyright. Please do not post or republish this recipe/images without permission from me -Tilly. If you want to share this recipe, please share the link rather than the whole recipe. Thank you so much! 🙂